His wife and one of his children were lucky, as they escaped but with serious burns.
The survivors were admitted at the Bingham University Teaching Hospital (Jankwano), Jos, where they were receiving treatment. It was learnt that Kwanmi hailed from the Shendam LGA and recently retired from the police force.
An eyewitness said the deceased, who was a former aide-de-camp to ex-civilian governor of the state, Mr. Fidelis Tapgun, was burnt to death together with his children.
The witness said the fire started after an electric spark from a meter in the house.
He said, “The meter was mounted at the entrance to the building. There was a spark from the meter which started the fire. Because the meter was at the entrance, the fire prevented them from escaping. It quickly spread to other rooms in the house.”
Kwanmi and his family went to bed and locked their doors at about 2.30am after watching a football match between Nigeria and Sweden in the ongoing Olympics Competition in Rio, Brazil.
However, neighbours were woken up by the cries for help from the children, who were sleeping in a room close to their father’s.
Kwanmi reportedly made spirited efforts to open the door and free himself and the children, but the thick smoke billowing from the fire prevented him.
Sadly, their charred remains were removed by neighbours, who had to break down the walls of the house to gain entry.
Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Tyopev Terna, confirmed the incident. May their souls RIP!