August 16, 2016
Why we can’t just swap Boko Haram terrorists for Chibokgirls – Chief of Defence Staff
The chief of defence staff, General Abayomi Olonishakin, on Monday said that the military is “going ahead” with its operations against the sect.
His position came days after Boko Haram released new video showing the girls that were kidnapped over two years ago.
A Boko Haram man who spoke in the video claimed that some of the girls had been killed by military airstrikes, while some were either seriously wounded or married off.
The video showed about 50 girls of the over 200 girls believed to still be in Boko Haram’s captivity.
The armed man said the girls would only be released if government sets free detained Boko Haram militants across the country.
General Olonishakin told journalists after a meeting of service chiefs at the presidential villa that swapping the militants was an entirely a “political decision”.
“Military decision is that we are going ahead with our operations. The operation is being conducted appropriately,” he said.
He said the military was “analysing” the video released by Boko Haram and would make appropriate comments at the right time.