The Village Head of Obio Usiere, Apostle Iya Effiong Orok, stated on Saturday that although it was earlier reported that two members of the community were killed last week in an attack by the herdsmen, they had discovered that eight more persons were killed.
According to him, the two people earlier reported were just people whose bodies were recovered immediately as at the time of the first attack.
His words, “We have lost nothing less than 10 people in this attack by Fulani herdsmen. They normally come during the dry season to feed their cattle in our area, the same incident occurred two years ago when two people were shot dead, now its 10 people”
“As I speak with you, Obio Usiere has been deserted. Our women are afraid to go their farms because they rape them in the bush and no one can help them. These people are heavily armed and we are just helpless.
“We have reported to both Police, DSS and other security agencies and we are using this opportunity to call on Governor Ben Ayade to help us because about 3, 500 people are now homeless, we have become refugees in our own land”
“It’s about a week this incident took place. It is true that some police men were sent here but the shortfall in logistics is a big challenge. We are afraid to go back to our ancestral home because we know what is happening in Enugu, Delta, Benue and we don’t like shedding blood on our land, it is a taboo for an Efik man to take up arms.”
Police PRO, ASP Irene Ugbo, confirmed the attack, but said only one person was killed.
She said policemen have been drafted to the area and normalcy has been restored.
“Our men are on ground 24 hours and we are not aware of any other killing. The rise in the death toll has not been reported to us as I speak with you, and we are not leaving the place,” she said.