Lagos Hairdresser Commits Suicide Over N150,000 Loan

This is quite sad! A hairdresser, Yetunde Oladipupo, aka Iyabo, has committed suicide on Onabola Street, Owotutu, in the Somolu area of Lagos.

It was learnt that Yetunde took an insecticide, Sniper, on Friday shortly after seeing off friends who had visited her.

Although the cause of the visit could not be ascertained, it was gathered that the mother of 4 went to a shop afterwards and bought the insecticide.

She was said to have taken it and was rushed to the General Hospital, Gbagada, where she died.

The Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State indigene, Punch reports, had taken a loan of about N150,000 from a microfinance bank and the creditor had been pestering her to pay.

A resident, who did not want to be identified, said the victim was always depressed because she had no means of repaying the debt.

He said, “Iyabo (Yetunde) has four children and her husband is based in Abuja. He comes home once in a while. She was a hairdresser and had a small shop where she sold some things.

“She borrowed N150,000 from a microfinance bank. When the pressure became too much for her and she could not pay, she became desperate, drank the insecticide and died.”

Another resident said two friends had visited her a few minutes before the incident, adding that it was after the visit that she decided to take her life.

She said, “Around 7pm, two friends visited her and she saw them off. As she was returning, she went to a shop opposite her house where they sell provisions.

“After picking the insecticide, she asked the shopkeeper for a nylon wrapper, but the shopkeeper declined her request and said she should return the insecticide. She kept it somewhere around her dress and left.

“As she was ascending the stairs to the first floor where she lived, she drank the insecticide. Within seconds, she started feeling uncomfortable and called her five-year-old child to go and get help. She was rolling on the floor and groaning with pain.

“Everybody was alarmed upon seeing the empty container of the insecticide. She was taken to a private hospital on the street, but she was rejected. She was then rushed to the General Hospital, Gbagada, where about five doctors struggled to save her life. She, however, died.”

A top official of the general hospital confirmed that the victim was brought to the hospital around 7pm, adding that she died in the early hours of Saturday.

He said, “The woman was brought to the hospital around 7pm on Friday and her people said she collected a loan which she could not repay. We don’t know the details. Doctors tried to save her life, but she could not make it.”


  1. may her soul rest in peace,but she did bad in my own opinion because sge has 4children and a husby to give moral support to so why chicken out through dieing even though economy is harsh to everyone..God take control

  2. Oladimeji S.15 May, 2017 08:24

    This is terible o, she forget that when there is life there is hope.

  3. People are fools now you are gone what next

  4. Grace Boniface15 May, 2017 08:53

    Why all this? RIP...

  5. Not again, waste of life

  6. Serz gbege..

  7. Just 150000 that is why you take life?. What is really happening to Nigerians?

  8. The problem wey money go cause, money no go fit solve am latter

  9. why nah, she should'nt have taken her life nah. chaii, no matter the pressure the bank is giving her to pay back the loan. God have mercy on us o, may her soul rest in peace. come to think of it, the way and manner this bank people take dey pressurise people sef because of money nor too good sha, and the rate in which people are committing suicide now adays is high.


Please keep your comments clean always. Thank you!