Kidnapped Briton Killed In Niger Delta

One of the British hostage kidnapped in Nigeria has been killed while three others have returned home safely, the Foreign Office in London announced Monday.
“This has been a traumatic time for our loved ones who were kidnapped and for their families and friends here in the UK.”

The four, who were working with a Christian medical charity providing health treatment in southern Nigeria’s Delta state, were kidnapped on October 13.

Ian Squire was killed, while Alanna Carson, David Donovan and his wife Shirley survived their ordeal.

“We are grateful for the support received by the British High Commission, and help from the Nigerian authorities in negotiating their release,” the families of all four abductees said in a statement via the Foreign Office.

“We are delighted and relieved that Alanna, David and Shirley have returned home safely. Our thoughts are now with the family and friends of Ian as we come to terms with his sad death."

Kidnapping for ransom is rife in southern Nigeria, where high-profile individuals and their families are a frequent target for criminal gangs.

Victims are usually released after a few days once payment is made.

“We are supporting the families of four British people who were abducted on October 13 in Nigeria, one of whom was tragically killed,” a Foreign Office spokeswoman said in a statement.

“Our staff will continue to do all we can to support the families.

“We are grateful to the Nigerian authorities, and are unable to comment given the ongoing nature of their investigations.”

Militants suspected 
Nigerian police believed militants who have attacked oil and gas pipelines in the oil-rich Niger delta region were behind the kidnapping.

They said on October 19 that four people had been arrested in connection with the abduction.

Nigerian intelligence sources said the Britons were thought to have been taken to militant camps in the creeks and swamps of the delta.

The four had been providing “free medical care and religious activities” in the Burutu area of Delta state, said Chief Theo Fakama, from the local Enukorowa community before the incident.