Peace Corps Boss To Police: "I Will Resume On Monday"

Despite court order that the headquarters of the Peace Corps of Nigeria, (PCN) office be vacated by the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), the premises is still being occupied by policemen.

The National Commandant of PCN, Dickson Akoh has however vowed to resume at the headquarters of Peace Corps on Monday following the court judgment.

A Federal High Court in Abuja last Thursday awarded N12.5m as damages against the Police and the Inspector General of Police over their violation of the rights of Akoh and some of its members.

Justice Gabriel Kolawole gave the award in a judgment on a fundamental right suit filed by Akoh.

Men of the NPF had on February 28 this year invaded the Abuja headquarters of the PCN during its commissioning, and arrested Akoh and 49 other members of the group, who were later detained.

Akoh and others later challenged their detention and the continued sealing of the PCN’s headquarters in Abuja by the police by filing the rights enforcement suit and claiming N2billion damages.

They listed the NPF, IGP, the AGF, the National Security Adviser, the Department of State Services (DSS) and its Director-General as respondents.

In the judgment, Justice Kolawole ordered the police to immediately unseal the group’s headquarters at 57, Iya Abubakar Crescent, Off Alex Ekwueme Way, Opposite Jabi Lake, Jabi, Abuja.

Speaking to newsmen on Saturday on recent development, Akoh said Peace Corps headquarters has not been vacated.

“This order was given last Thursday and it was supposed to take effect immediately. As far as law is concerned a court order is a public pronouncement and public document. As I am talking to you now police are still stealing the headquarters of the Peace Corps of Nigeria, (PCN). Their truck is still there. They should obey this court order to vacate the PCN headquarters.

“I think what the police is looking for is for us to revolt so that they can use it to justify their actions and look for another charges to hold us. In a country that practice ideal democracy, the Inspector General of Police is not following what the rule of law says. Our lawyers have told us to be patient. We have waited for this development since February 28, so waiting till Monday will not harm us.”