Female student drugged, r*ped by man she met on Instagram

A man identified by the Nigerian police as Asiwaju Micheal has allegedly drugged and r*ped a female undergraduate of the University of Ilorin.

The Command’s Public Relations Officer, Akayi Okasanmi, in an interview with Punch in Ilorin, the state capital on Monday, said the victim, whose name was withheld and Michael had met on the social media platform - Instagram - and started a relationship.

He said the victim had, in her statement, claimed their relationship was not amorous until Michael invited her to a hotel.

Okasanmi said, “He later drugged the girl and slept with her. While she was unconscious, he took photographs of her n*de body. When the girl woke up, she found out that the guy had r*ped her. She left in annoyance and vowed not to come back to him.

“When the girl left, the guy called her for s*x. When the girl refused, he threatened to expose her n*de pictures to the public. The girl went to him and pleaded with him to delete the pictures. He made love to her and went on to forward one of the pictures to the girl’s father. But the picture was intercepted by the lady’s older brother who was in possession of the father’s phone at that time.”

The PPRO said that after the student returned to school, Michael continued to threaten her.

He said the victim spoke to her pastor about what she was going through and the latter advised her to play along so that the suspect could be arrested. Michael was eventually tricked to come to Ilorin and later, arrested in a hotel.

Okasanmi said, “We laid a trap for him. He called the lady at about 12.30pm and told her to meet him somewhere. Maybe he sensed that something was amiss. But eventually we arrested him in a hotel and took him to my office. By that time it was late.

“I asked an officer from the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department to take his statement and he confessed. I collected one of his cell phones, searched and found some of the lady’s nude pictures in it. We made him to write a statement confirming what he did.

“Later, I left the SCIID officer to watch the suspect, while I went home to dress because we were expecting one of our principal officers from Abuja and we were to receive him at the airport at about 8am. By the time I returned to the office, the suspect had disappeared. The CID officer told me that he left him in the care of other people. For that reason, the boy defaulted and he is going to face trial.”

When contacted, the Deputy Director, Corporate Services, Unilorin, Mr. Kunle Akogun, declined to comment on the matter. He said, “I have no comment. It is a police matter.”