20181019

How A Boy Almost Got Killed By His Cake At His Birthday Party

A young boy has almost gotten killed by his own custom-made birthday cake during his birthday celebration, throwing his parents and everyone around into serious panic.

He suffered an allergic reaction to the cake...

Deysel Carstens was celebrating his third birthday with friends and family when he took a mouthful of the dinosaur-themed cake. He suffered an allergic reaction, began vomiting and was taken to hospital.

His mum Ali Carstens specifically requested no egg be put in the ‘dino-cake’ which she ordered from Sophie Amelia Creative Cakes in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, due to her son’s allergy.

But Deysel had emergency treatment at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury. Ali, a marketing consultant, said: 'Not only were we terrified, but the kids at the party must have been traumatised.

‘The whole room was so shocked when Deysel began to be sick and his face was swelling up. We rushed him straight away to A&E – we were absolutely terrified.

‘We rang the bakers, who confirmed that despite their initial reassurances, they had put egg whites in the cake.

‘They could have killed him.’

The mum said ‘someone from the cake company came to Stoke Mandeville to apologise immediately’ but she has contacted the local trading standards team. Ali added: ‘The worst thing about allergic reactions is you don’t know how big the reaction will be nor where it will stop.

‘We were terrified his airwaves would close up and he would go into anaphylactic shock.

‘Luckily the staff at Stoke Mandeville A&E were very helpful.

‘He was given anti-histamines and steroids to try to control the reaction.

‘Deysel is now afraid to eat. We’re finding it really hard to get him to eat his dinner for fear of another reaction.

‘It’s heart-breaking but it’s also bad for the kids who saw it, who must be traumatised.’

Metro UK reports that Sophie Amelia Creative Cakes has apologised and said ‘traces of egg white powder’ may have been in the treat.

A statement read: ‘I had no idea how the eggs could end up in an egg free cake, but unfortunately thinking of it once I learned about the reaction I realised it could be traces of egg white powder that was used for other orders that day.

‘The customer was notified of it immediately, along with apologies if that was the cause.

‘My page states clearly that all sorts of allergens are handled in my kitchen and therefore traces of those might be found in all the foods prepared here, if that was the cause of Deysel’s reaction.’